Boko Haram sect who claimed responsibility for the serial bomb blasts
and shootings that rocked the commercial city of Kano on Sunday
explained that the action was carried to force government release its
members currently being detained by the various security agencies in
One Abdul Qaqa who claimed to be the spokesperson of the sect told
journalists on telephone from his hideout that Kano State government
which has refused to effect the release of the sect’s members in detention
should be blamed for the violence.
Kano State government, he stated had remained intransigence despite the
sect’s repeated calls for the release of its members and other “innocent”
Nigerians in detention for alleged robbery and sundry crimes.
Qaqa said they have given the government ample time to set free their
fellows to no avail hence the decision to strike and prove its worth to both
the government and security agencies.
Qaqa added that they will not relent in fighting for the rights of their
members, many of whom he said are innocently held warning that the
Federal Government will continue to pay for the continued oppression and
killing of innocent Muslims in the country.
“We are only scared of Allah but no one. We must regain our faith and
freedom soon. No amount of propaganda against us will deter us. We are
guided and strengthen by Allah as you can see”, Qaqa said.
Earlier on December 18, 2011, the sect through one Shekarau, its leader,
had reportedly written Kano State government warning of an impending
strike if its members were not released from detention.
"We are therefore compelled to write this letter to inform Kano residents of
this development so that when we launch attacks in the city as we have
been doing in Maiduguri, they should not blame us," Shekau said in an
email to some journalist.
One month later they struck and destroyed Police stations, immigration
offices, government buildings and the headquarters of Nigeria’s State
Security Services, SSS, among others.